Introducing the Nappy bag sewing pattern

08:00


You might have guessed my next pattern would be a nappy bag/diaper bag/changing bag pattern due to my current 'predicament' and you wouldn't be wrong!

This is by far the most involved pattern I've written with a grand total of 10 pockets! It comes with shoulder handles, a detachable long cross body (or slinging over shoulder) strap. The outside has two full width pockets, one with a flap and up to two keychains/dummy holders, one with a hidden zipped pocket. It has an elastic side pocket on each end (ideal for water bottles/milk bottles). Inside boasts 4 elasticated slip pockets, one zipped pocket and two elasticated bottle holders. Phew, I'm tired just thinking about it!

Here are a few more photos to whet your appetite!

Front pocket with flap fastened by magnetic snap. 

Full width back pocket fastened with hook & loop tape, hiding a zipped pocket

Elasticated side pockets & detachable shoulder strap

I used a double zip, fortunately we all know how to make them now thanks to Dee's guest post!

I used some gorgeous bag bling from Emmaline Bags
For the handmade script label please see Emmaline bags, they're absolutely gorgeous and really make a project look professional. Installation instructions also to be found on the listing page.

Back pocket with hidden zipped pocket, fastened with hook & loop tape

Interior with 4 large elasticated slip pockets, 1 zipped pocket and 2 elasticated bottle holders
As you can see from the interior photo this bag doesn't need you to finish the inside seams with bias binding, but nor does it need you to hand-stitch the lining to the outer along the zip. There's a very unique way of inserting linings like this which I walk you through with clear photos and lots of explanation in the pattern meaning you end up with a turning gap at the bottom like most regular bag linings. This method also stops the lining caving into the bag as the seam allowances are attached together along the top.

Here's the bag all ready & packed in case my little lady comes early! I've got a full pack of wipes, 6 nappies, nappy bags, breast pads, nipple cream, nappy cream, 3 muslins & 2 full outfits in here. In the outer pockets I've got a dummy, a pack of tissues, a coin purse and space for a wet bag (when I get around to making some wet bags!)

The pattern calls for either medium weight interfacing AND fusible fleece on the outer layers or Soft & Stable on the outer layers. Whichever you choose it also calls for medium weight interfacing on all of the lining pieces. I use Vilene F220 for my medium weight interfacing and I believe Pellon SF 101 is comparable.

I used Amy Butler home decor fabric Trumpet Flowers in pink and co-ordinated it with Robert Kaufman Kona Solids Melon.

I would follow the fabric recommendations on the pattern though and NOT use home decor fabric, no matter how nice it is, you'll save yourself a lot of headaches when trying to fit all the layers through your machine at the end! Quilting cotton is definitely better!

The Nappy bag pattern

This pattern is definitely not a quick sew, but you will be so impressed with the results that you have achieved I don't think you'll mind. The full copy is 28 pages long with 96 steps and when you purchase you will also be able to download the text only copy which is 11 pages long to save you ink.

My testers have reported sewing times of between 4 - 8 hours depending on confidence level and number of smaller 'helpers' hanging around so don't be put off by the 'advanced' classification, the pattern walks you through everything clearly and has a couple of links to extra tutorials such as fitting the bag bling and zipped pockets.

The Nappy bag pattern also makes a great travel bag pattern, just adjust the pockets to your own need. I'll be back later this week with some of the tester's bags to show you how they altered the pattern for their own requirements.

If you want to purchase The Nappy Bag pattern on my Etsy Store please feel free to use the code ATHOMEWITHMRSH10 for a 10% discount on your purchase of pattern/s & or hardware.

You Might Also Like

10 comments

  1. This is just brilliant- I love the pattern matching and the studs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice! The fabric is beautiful, the shape is pleasing, and the number of pockets looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Couldn't wait to see your nappy bag. It looks like a winner! Can't wait to make one and a matching changing pad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's an amazing bag Samantha, you've done such a fab job. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great bag! And your fuzzy cutting is excellent. Baby H will be very well taken care of.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The more I see your bag the more I love it. The fabric is amazing and the pink lining is so sweet. It all looks so fresh and pretty. Elvis is going to be one lucky girl having such a talented mum.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your bag is gorgeous! Not just some boring old diaper bag.... This pattern is really versatile... I am using mine for when I travel!
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the fabrics!! Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hopefully I never have need of a diaper bag ever again, but this truly is gorgeous! I especially love the little "handmade" label. Such a cute detail! Now I just can't wait to see the little lady it's meant for!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks like an awesome bag!

    ReplyDelete

Love our posts? Sign up to our newsletter!

* indicates required

Instagram

Fabulous Followers