The Companion Carpet Bag Sewing pattern - January '15 BOMC

14:03

A hobby that feels lonely is no kind of hobby to me. That's why I loved being part of the Bag of the Month club last year and why I was so keen to be a part again this year. I loved the camaraderie, the different versions but most of all connecting with those actually using my patterns and seeing their creativity.

So without further ado, I introduce to you January's bag of the month club '15 pattern, The Companion Carpet Bag.


I must confess to my very nerdy love of all things Doctor Who. I started out thinking I'd design a Doctor's bag to celebrate my not so secret love, but then I figured the Doctor only carries a screwdriver, he doesn't need a bag.


You can get the frames from my good friend Dan, from 3Dan patterns. You can find the small 8.5" frame here and the large 12" frame here.


Today I'm posting my tester's bags, and through January I'll be sharing a couple of extra tips, other versions I've made and a few changes you can make to the pattern to suit you more.

If you'd like to join the Bag of the Month club, please see my post here about joining. You'll get this and 5 other patterns straight to your inbox, one per month from January - June '15.

First up is Emma from For My Little Monster. Emma made the 'small' size with the 8.5" frame in quilting cottons. I love her choice of fabrics!


Next up is Katie, with a bag that I suspect Liz will be trying to pinch! Katie's bag is the large size with the 12" frame and she used faux leather for the gusset. What an attractive base!

As you can probably tell, I provided the testers with their hardware, which is why all of their handles look similar, although I've got some bags made with different handles to show you through this month.

Next up is Nicole from Nicole at home with another 'Large' version. Nicole is an incredible seamstress and has just completed a two piece suit, jacket and trousers which she's shared on her blog.  I'm so lucky to count her among my testers!
Nicole tried Hair Canvas as a stabiliser and would recommend using something slightly firmer as her bag didn't have the stability she'd like.


Also making a small bag is Sally from Life in Sally's world. I love the peek of ric rac trim on her front pocket!


Next up is the ever trusty Maria from Mia Creates. If there's an error to be found, Maria will find it! That's why she's a tester to the stars! Maria made the 'small' size with upholstery weight fabric. I believe she has to defend it from every single customer who enters her sewing studio; I can see why!


Next up is the sad tale of Liz from Moments blog. Liz didn't hold true to herself and when asked what colour handles she'd like, didn't choose red. Anyone who knows Liz would be surprised by this. I was very surprised...Liz...not choosing red?! Unfortunately when it came to making the bag, Liz wished she had chosen red. Fear not though, this tale has a happy ending! Liz made some new handles, in red and has the tutorial to share with you all later on this week. Hurrah for happy endings!

Liz made the 'large' size bag and used pleather for the frame channels. Such a slick finish!


Not such a tale for Dee, she knew she'd use red handles and here's her 'small' bag!


Finally on my testers list for this pattern is Simone from The Equilateral Donkey. She made a 'small' bag and used quilting cotton too.


Simone also sent me a photo of their rain last night when I was bemoaning our Welsh rain.


Not quite the same as Welsh rain and if Simone's 'accidentally' left of the next pattern's tester list, we all know why and can blame the green eyed monster!

I hope you enjoyed seeing your first selection of Companion Carpet bags. As I said before, there's still time to join the club, we'd love to have you in the group.

I'll be back with a tutorial on Friday on how to adjust the pattern to your different frame size!

You Might Also Like

21 comments

  1. All of These bags are just awesome, I love them all, but my heart bounced a Little bit higher for the Liz-Version :-) Thanks for the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! Don't they all look amazing. All the same but yet so different. I'm so glad mine is done and am now looking forward to the February Bag. Thanks Samantha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Inspiration from all of the bags....now I have some decisions to make!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where do you buy the hardware? I am not familiar with this product at all?

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh great, when I seen the materials list, I thought this bag would not be something I would like and didn't order anything, but now after seeing them......i NEED one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Samantha, this bag is just how I imagined and I am so excited!! Just wish I had not waited until Dec 14 to order my handles and snap from China, that is all I need. I suppose I can begin the prep and cut my fabrics so the minute I get them I will be ready :-) thanks for all your hard work designing such a unique bag!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have just downloaded my pattern. It looks like a a really stylish bag. Thanks for the pattern through the bag club. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  8. They all look awesome! Is a great pattern. I have so much to sew this year. Yippe!! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love seeing all the tests. Will be anxious to start as soon as my frames arrive (in about 2 weeks). Looks like a great bag and it is in a style I have never made before. Love learning new things. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm in the same boat as Sandy W -- I don't know where to buy all the supplies, well the frames and such. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  11. So I'm sitting here reading my Christmas treat, the "Mary Poppins 80th Anniversary Collection" and into my mailbox drops a pattern to make my own carpet bag! Coincidence or what! The testers have done a great job, but my favourite is Samantha's brown one on the pattern packet. Now I just need to collect the supplies here in the U.K.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such talent shown here!! I love seeing the bags you all create! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an exciting pattern to begin this years Bag of the Month Club! I can't wait for my purse frame to get here from China! It is so fun to see all of the different bag personalities!!
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  14. With a few strong hints, my DH signed me up for this club as one of my Christmas gifts. I am so glad he took the hint!! LOL I love your bag!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am about to cut out my first Carpet Bag! Love the pattern and the samples!! Thank you Samantha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It never ceases to amaze me how one pattern can look so different.
    They are beautiful...I love the bags with red...and Nicoles fussy cutting looks fabulous..!
    Great job ladies !!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the reveal posts and this one is no exception. I'm Now looking forward to the pictures of all the bags and versions that the creative community makes.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love seeing all the different variations of the same pattern, they are all so fantastic. I am totally using a pleather channel for my 12 inch version that I am cutting out right now.

    Do I get back on the list by letting you know that with the monsoon rain also comes months of mould over everything? LOL Failing that my pool is always open if you are ever Down Under.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm hoping someone will share their source for hardware!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katzber, please do feel free to join the facebook group for recommended suppliers and other help. https://www.facebook.com/groups/649141071864918/

      The internal tubular frames are from 3D and the small can be found here: http://en.dawanda.com/product/3948934-Taschenbuegel-215cm-Z20 and the large here: http://en.dawanda.com/product/35734593-Taschenbuegel-305CM-Z19

      Hope this helps,
      Samantha x

      Delete

Love our posts? Sign up to our newsletter!

* indicates required

Instagram

Fabulous Followers