Mrs H's Mince Pies

12:23


That makes me sound like some grey haired jolly fat baker doesn't it? I'm not...well, I guess I could be jolly. If I tried really, really, really, really hard. Once again we're veering away from the subject before we've even got started.

Right, you'll need 16oz (450g) of shortcrust pastry. You can buy it at the shop if you're rich and/or lazy or you can make your own with my super easy/cheap shortcrust pastry recipe.

You'll also need a jar (or two) of store bought mincemeat. This is way too fiddly and time consuming to make yourself. Well, you could, but I'm super lazy so unless something's easy to make like the pastry, I buy.

You'll also need a cupcake tin (or two), some cookie cutters and a little milk or beaten egg for brushing on.

Pop your oven on to heat up to 200C (400F) Gas Mark 6.

Start by rolling out your pastry, I generally split mine in two and roll it out separately because I am weedy.

Look, it's almost Wales...but without Anglesey.
Then I cut out circles with a 3" (7.5cm) wavy edged cutter (fluted?)  and pop into the cupcake tin. I don't grease the pan because they come away easily when they're baked. Don't forget the pastry is 2:1 flour to fat...there's plenty of fat in there to help it slip out when it's done.

Set of 5 metal double edged cutters - £3 Asda

I realise the colours a little off here, blame Picnik :)

Then I go through and dollop a teaspoon of mince into each one. Don't overload it, when it starts bubbling away you don't want it to bubble over. Then it really will get stuck to the pan!


Next I cut out some smaller shapes from the pastry and pop those on the top of the mince. If you choose to do a traditional pie with a circle lid don't forget to slit a small opening in the middle to let the steam escape.


Brush the tops with milk or beaten egg and pop in the oven for 15 - 20 minutes.

I used milk because I was only making a few and didn't want the egg to go to waste but usually egg will give you a good sheen.

You can sprinkle some icing sugar on top or leave them plain.


Pop some onto a pink handbag shaped plate and present them to your husband. He won't care what they're on, he's only thinking about how many he can eat in one sitting!


Happy Christmas baking!

Samantha x


At home with Mrs H

p.s. in the interest of keeping it real, here's the view behind me as I made these mince pies.

You know we're hoping to move at the end of the month? Well the boxes keep piling up!


You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. I have decided we need to leave Florida and move to Wales so that you can be my teacher! These look awesome. I'm making them this weekend for Christmas. I'll have to shoot you a picture of my finished project ... don't hold your breath on how good they will look :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are adorable and look fantastic I'd love you to add these to my What We Wore and Made party over at http://raegunwear.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so good!!! I would love it if you could link it up here.. http://www.bubblynaturecreations.com/2011/12/project-party-weekend-come-link-up-your.html
    Merry Christmas!
    -Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  4. these look so yummy!!!


    Thanks for linking up to Serenity Saturday Link Party, hope to see you there again this week

    Natasha xx

    http://serenityyou.blogspot.com/search/label/Serenity%20Saturday

    ReplyDelete

Love our posts? Sign up to our newsletter!

* indicates required

Instagram

Fabulous Followers