Mary's owl cushion

08:00


Anyone remember waay, waaaaaay, waaaaaay back when I did a covert robin swap and sent Mary an owl cushion & some wrist warmers? No? Oh well, this'll be more interesting for you then! I found the pics I took of when I made the cushion. Hurrah!


I basically did what I said I did for the owl appliqué pouch but I've taken the photos, so I might as well show them to you now!


 I popped some fusible fleece on the back of the owl's body & used jumbo ric rac for his belly feathers.


 I even stitched the ric rac with wiggly stitching!!


For the eyes I used two buttons, I stitched through the base one a couple of times, then laid the smaller one on top and stitched on through both a few times, securing at the back.


Next I basted some felt onto the back of my owl patch and laid my owl where I wanted him to be ready to stitch him down.

I went all around his body with a small zig zag in a green thread to match the body.

And stitched on his felt nose (beak?) by hand.

Next I stitched on his wings with a straight stitch.


Then I used some scrap squares to make up some side & top strips and stitched those onto my owl panel.

Added some brown borders to make it the size I wanted.


Then for the back I used some olive green ticking and made an envelope back. I folded enough over so that I'd have a nice wide band for some buttons & button holes. I always think envelope backs without buttons tend to gape slightly.


I used the fancy round ended button hole stitch (pre set in my machine) this time, but when I actually cut it, it didn't look too much different to my regular straight buttonhole!


I did three buttons on the back, and used these lovely wooden ones that I had in my stash. They may have come from my nan's stash?


Then I put the two back pieces together and laid them on the front, stitched round all of the sides. I think I overlocked the edges then, but I don't have a photo so can't be sure!


Tadaaaa, one finished owl cushion which Mary has given a good home now!



And because I really enjoyed making it, I made another in teals & reds for my friend in Australia Dee! I made her cover a tad smaller so the cushion would fit more snugly.


I think in the bottom of that last photo is evidence I did overlock the edges of the brown owl cushion! Hurrah, the mystery is solved!


You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. Your cushion is absolutely adorable and I like the buttons better than a zip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And my lovely cushion is at my back as I read this post - I LOVE it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so pretty and cute! Love the buttons on the back.

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is just darling! What is that digital thingey? My sewing machine is from a different century than yours. lol
    P.S. I'm re-sending you-know-what. I check the USPS tracking on it and it just dead-ended. And I'm pretty sure you should have received it by now cuz it was mailed on October 31. Even if they took it across the ocean in a coracle, it should have arrived. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a vague memory of you doing a tutorial for this? Maybe?

    ReplyDelete

Love our posts? Sign up to our newsletter!

* indicates required

Instagram

Fabulous Followers