Maternity Washi dress from curtains!16:05
I'm really blessed with some lovely friends. One of those friends thinks of me whenever she's got a sack full of fabric to give away, thank you Di!
This fabric was a large door curtain and I kept it because it was in immaculate condition, a good thick cotton and I thought I could use it for making a muslin one day. The fabric is 'The Country Classics' by Ashley Wilde.
I'm going to hazard a guess that it was produced around the 1980's. It's just got that sort of chintz chic look about it.
I'm eagerly awaiting a package containing some voile from Sara Lawson's new Jungle Ave collection and I have a Washi top in mind for it. I thought I'd better make myself a muslin first before it gets here to check fit and make sure I don't completely ruin the new fabric from Sara! That's where this home décor fabric comes in. Ker-ching!
I wanted to make the dress length to check it for future dresses (even though I've a tunic in mind for the Floral Asphalt voile) and didn't have quite enough for the whole dress out of the curtain fabric. Once again my never diminishing stash stepped in and provided some beige linen for a front bodice. I wasn't intending this dress to be worn but once I put the two together I decided I really liked it and hence forth it became thought of as a wearable muslin.
|Yes, my legs really are that pale, do not adjust your screens!|
Based on my bust and upper bust measurements I was spot on the largest size in the Medium size range. I cut the back of the dress in size medium. I cut the front bottom of the dress in size large. I used a marker then to match the size medium arm holes (sycthes?) to the size large side seams and bottom seam. Size large bust darts too.
I used an elastic casing on the back rather than shirring because a) the fabric is very heavy and b) I have a drop in bobbin Brother - notorious for shirring issues and I really didn't fancy having to adjust the bobbin tension! Next time I'll cut my back elastic to the large size though so it's not as tight.
I'm only 22 weeks pregnant in these photos and I want my Jungle Ave tunic to last me through to the end of pregnancy and possibly nursing if I can follow Rae's nursing alteration tutorials.
I think I made the right decision with the size adjustments, there's enough space for a slightly larger bust and a very much larger belly but the back isn't ridiculously over-sized. I didn't have any issues matching the two different sizes of the front and back.
There is a slight gape at the neckline so next time I'm going to stay stitch the neckline as soon as I've cut the pieces rather than in step 6 as instructed. I think because I didn't make it up in one go and instead folded it up and put it away, then got it out another day, repeat etc, it must have stretched out slightly.
I wonder if I should also consider moving the seam up an inch or two if I make another Washi with contrast bodice/skirt so that it hits above my bump, but I think on one that's the same fabric it won't matter so much. The same with the rather obvious darts!
I didn't really feel my bump was that large before taking these photos, I'll blame it on the heavy drape of the fabric coupled with the extra bump growth room!
It's not really warm enough for summer dresses here yet, but you can bet your bottom dollar that as soon as it is, this wearable muslin will be making it's fair share of appearances! Who knows, if I get a nice little amount of sun you might be able to see where my legs end and the cream of the fabric begins!
Some of you already know this, but sewing clothing scares me some-what. I'm happy to tackle the most difficult pattern of anything but when it comes to clothing I like to stick safely in the 'beginner' camp. I was pleased with how easy it was to follow this pattern and I'm really pleased with the result. Onto the next Washi!